Researchers within Maritime Decarbonization
Local Unit & Position Description
Would you like to join our international and inclusive team, working on cutting-edge research projects within maritime decarbonization?
The climate crisis demands substantial GHG reductions from the maritime industry. If this is to happen, a major transition to zero- and net-zero carbon fuels and technologies will be needed. However, the pathways to a decarbonized future for maritime are not fully laid out yet, and there are several scenarios and pre-conditions that can take the development in different directions. We in DNV aim to be a trusted voice to tackle the energy transition within maritime and we need exceptional people to join us on our journey.
We are looking for highly motivated, positive, and visionary individuals that enjoy working in a team to impact the adoption of zero-emission technologies and fuels into the maritime industry.
Position 1: Researcher within Life Cycle Assessment of Maritime Fuels
Position 2: Researcher within Emission Monitoring and Verification
The successful candidates will be part of the Maritime Program in DNV’s strategic research unit, Group Research and Development (GRD) where you will join an international pool of talented researchers covering a wide range of selected topics of strategic importance to DNV. GRD performs strategic and applied research for DNV focusing on knowledge development and technology demonstration through collaborations with academia and industry, providing thought leadership through external publications and forecasts, and creates scientific legitimacy to DNV services.
- Engage in research projects to build knowledge, competence and insights into cost, benefits and risk of future decarbonisation technologies and zero-/net zero carbon fuels as well as their value chains
- Relevant for position 1: Develop standards, recommended practices and associated tools for life cycle assessment of future fuels
- Relevant for position 2: Develop standards and recommended practices for measuring and verifying GHG emissions from ships and explore and demonstrate frameworks for real-time assurance of environmental compliance
- Explore and put to use digital technologies that will impact decarbonization of shipping
- Publish forecasts, scientific papers, non-technical reports and professional presentations
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to understand industry needs and piloting solutions
- Build networks externally and internally with key people and experts in the field
- Collaborate with top academic personnel and participate and lead multi-partner research activities
The successful candidate should have:
- A solid educational background, MSc or PhD level within a technical discipline.
- Passion for and insights into the energy transition of the maritime industry
- Proficiency in the English language
- Very good skills in Microsoft Office
Advanced insight into 3 or more of the following topics:
- Formal competence on LCA methodologies, standards and tools
- Knowledge into zero-/net zero carbon fuels and their production
- Knowledge into maritime energy converters and fuel systems
- Knowledge into maritime abatement and energy efficiency technologies
- Sensors, IoT, edge computing and connectivity
- Data analytics, artificial intelligence, machine learning and associated programming languages, tools and methodologies
- Knowledge within ship operations, the maritime industry and its regulatory regime
- Novel business model innovation
Other than that, we value traits like
- Enthusiasm, energy, and drive
- Motivation to share knowledge as well as acquire new competencies.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to convey complex topics in various formats to audiences with varying professional backgrounds (colleagues/management/partners/customers).
- Skillset to work in a multidiscipline R&D setting with an analytic approach to problem solving - both independently and in teams
- Ability to work on, and in some cases, manage long-term projects
- Ability and willingness to build and maintain professional networks across business and academia.
What we can offer you:
- The opportunity to influence your own daily work with the freedom to explore and to be creative
- The possibility to be a part of a passionate, interdisciplinary team with a mutual responsibility to allow all colleagues, yourself included, to make a difference
- The opportunity to work for a company with a market leading brand that is providing state-of-the art research to the maritime industry
- Long traditions for a value driven culture caring for our employees, our customers and society at large
- A company with established management systems and operational systems – allowing smooth onboarding and daily work life
- Inspiring, social, and international work environment
- Great opportunities for professional development
- Flexible working hours
- 6 weeks annual vacation
- Attractive total compensation package
For more information about the position please contact:
Hans Anton Tvete, Programme Director, +47 95927110
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in risk management and assurance, with almost 12,000 employees operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
Whether assessing a new ship design, optimizing the performance of a wind farm, analyzing sensor data from a gas pipeline or certifying a food company’s supply chain, we enable our customers and their stakeholders to make critical decisions with confidence.
Our employees are driven by a common purpose: to safeguard life, property, and the environment. We help tackle the challenges and global transformations facing our customers and the world today and we are a trusted voice for many of the world’s most successful and forward-thinking companies.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!
Vi er et globalt selskap innen kvalitetssikring og risikohåndtering med tilstedeværelse i over 100 land. Vårt formål er å sikre liv, verdier og miljøet. Med vår unike tekniske ekspertise og uavhengighet bistår vi våre kunder med å forbedre sikkerhet, effektivitet og bærekraft.
Enten vi godkjenner et nytt skipsdesign, optimerer energiproduksjonen fra en vindmøllepark, analyserer sensordata fra en gassrørledning eller sertifiserer verdikjeden til en matprodusent, hjelper vi våre kunder med å ta gode og riktige beslutninger og øke tilliten til virksomheten, produktene og tjenestene deres. Verden er i endring. Vi kan påvirke utviklingen. Sammen skal vi takle de globale utfordringene og omstillingene vi vil møte.